Monday, January 3, 2011

Yorkshire pudding with creamy-mushroom sauce



It doesn't happen very often that I am woken up by a dream about cooking. I woke up early yesterday knowing I've been dreaming all night about making Yorkshire pudding. This is a food that I first heard of this summer while on the research trip in Canada. Cooking with a group of people can be sometimes tough, but you learn so much. I remember seeing my new Canadian friends preparing this and since I have never heard of it before they let me taste a bite. Oh, that one bite made me think, google and dream of Yorkshire pudding since June. If you are not familiar with this food, I can only recommend it. It could be served with savory sauces, as a side instead of usual biscuits or (need to try myself soon) with warm sweet fruit sauce and chocolate on the side.
Well, last night was the day I tried it on my own. I used this recipe and pretty much followed it all the way through except I didn't lower oven temperature every six minutes. Instead, I kept it on high (450 F) for the first 15 minutes and then lowered the temperature to 300 F until they were crisp and gold.



I created this creamy mushroom and lentil sauce following my taste buds memory since June.
Creamy Mushroom and Lentil Sauce.

2 C sliced mushrooms (your choice of mushrooms)
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1 clove of garlic
olive oil
2 C warm water
3/4 C flour
1 TBSP mustard
salt, pepper, Hungarian paprika
1 C lentils, need to be cooked according to package directions in separate saucepan.

Drizzle olive oil in the medium size pan and sauté onions, garlic and mushrooms until soft. Whisk together water and flour and add to the pan while stirring. If your sauce is too thick add more water, if it seems too watery whisk in more flour. Season the sauce with mustard, and the remaining spices. Let simmer for about 15 minutes and it's ready to serve. You can substitute milk for water, this will make your sauce creamier. I was running low on milk last night.
Enjoy!

1 comment: